How To Make Your Own Tea Blends

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to blend your own teas? I know I have.

I’ve thought about how fun it would be to understand teas in such a way that I could create my own blends to drink and share with others. A blend for this… a blend for that… depending upon the season and what I had a hankering for. You know what I mean?

Well, since this month is all about learning about teas here on the Bulk Herb Store Blog, I decided to get with it and once and for all learn how to make my own tea blends.

You know what that means, right?

It means that I’m going to share what I’ve come up with so you can learn to make your own tea blends too! Oh, and if blending your own teas doesn’t sound like anything you’re really into, be sure to check out the bottom of the post because I’ve found something that may make blending your own teas more fun for you.

The Pyramid of Tea

I’m calling this blending process “The Pyramid of Tea”. You know what a pyramid looks like, right? It’s wide at the bottom and gets smaller as it goes up. Well that’s how you’re going to create a tea blend. You start with a base ingredient which will be largest portion of your blend, and then you add to it with other ingredients in small portions to fill out the blend.

It’s really simple.

The Base

The base of your tea blend will be the tea leaves or primary herb you’re using – called your base ingredient or primary ingredient.

There are two things to concider at this point when trying to decide what your base should be.

Look & Taste

All teas look and taste different. Remember Monday’s post about the differences in teas? If you missed it, refer back to it now so you can get an idea of the differences in look and taste of “official” and “unofficial” teas.

Now to start, ask yourself what you’re looking for in your tea. Do you want something strong and bold? If so, maybe your base needs to be black tea. Do you want something light and helpful in a weight loss formula? If so, green tea is your best bet. Whatever you decide on is what should go into your blend in the largest amount.

Not sure what you want or what each of the different teas are really like. You can always buy small amounts of each of the teas, brew them up in different cups, set all the cups in front of you, grab some spoons and start smelling, looking, and tasting each of them to see what you think. Remember to keep notes on each of the teas so when it comes to blending time, you know what each base will be like.

The Top

Alright, here’s the fun part… in my opinion. Once you’ve found the tea or herb that will be the base of your blend, it’s time to start adding to it. This can be by adding another, smaller amount of a different tea or herb (a secondary ingredient) or by trying out fruits, flowers, foods, and other herbs with it. There’s really no limit to the blends you can create. All it takes is patience in trying things out and seeing if you like them or not.

If you want to go with another tea or herb for your secondary ingredient, start by taking one tablespoon of your primary tea or herb and adding in one teaspoon of your secondary tea or herb. Taste it and see what you think. If it’s not what you want, try something else. If it works together, you can either leave it as is or add more ingredients to your blend.

If you’re trying to add fruits, flowers, foods, or other herbs… you’re going to have to consider their taste and the way they look, then you’re going to have to try it out and experiment. Find out what you like together. Have a friend taste it and see what they think. When you come up with the perfect blend, package it correctly for storage (more on how to do that Friday), and put it away to enjoy later.

Practice and Patience

When it comes to blending teas that are enjoyable… it’s going to take some practice and some patience. The more you do it, the better you’ll get at it. Learning what flavors go well with which teas also takes some practice. Here’s a post that a fellow Etsy shop owner wrote for the Etsy blog all about blending teas. Check out some of her photos below on flavor pairings that go well with each base teas, and be sure to read her post so you can see it all come together!

Black Tea Pairings

Black Tea Pairings

Green Tea Pairings

Roobios Flavor Pairings

Tea Blending Made Easy

Last but not least… if all this tea blending seems romantic to you, but not realistic, here’s an easy way to still put your own tea blends together without having to buy everything and do it yourself.

Design a Tea is a company that allows you to choose your own ingredients in your own tea blends online. You choose your base, your flavorings, whether you want it in bags or loose leaf, and you even get to name your blend and have it put on your box. Plus your blend can come in two different sizes. How cool is that?!! That’s an easy way to try out making your own blends without getting all the stuff yourself.

Enjoy and happy blending!

Have you ever blended your own teas? What did you do? Share your tips or your custom blends with us in the comments below!

19 Responses to How To Make Your Own Tea Blends

1. Chris November 20, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Hi, great article.

I see that you have some great fruits and herbs. I will order some calendula, orange, and echinacea.

I am also looking for dried cranberries, strawberries, cherries, blackcurrant, etc. to make my own blends. Do you know where I can find more organic dried fruits for tea? Thanks!

• Meagan November 21, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I’d say to check your local co-op or health food store… or even Amazon. Hope that helps!!

2. Karen October 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

Hi are you doing? I am interested in learning how to mix teas both for enjoyment and healing? How can I learn to mix teas.

Thanks

3. Sarah March 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

I was wondering something about making my own Tea Tinctures? Is that possible without killing off the green tea? I want to try to make a Stress Zapper Tincture, with organic apple cider vinegar or vodka is that possible?

Sarah

• Meagan March 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I don’t see why you can’t do that Sarah. That way you can drink it as a tea or use it as a tincture. I can’t see why it would ruin the green tea either. It would just pull the properties from it. Maybe someone else knows something more about this??

4. Ashley March 13, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Loved reading this and these are excellent tips, thank you! I make a tea blend of Chamomile and Lemon Balm for my babies tummies. Decided to buy some catnip and add it in too. :)

5. Bek March 13, 2013 at 10:15 am #

Thanks so much for this great post! I have found that I love green tea with dried peaches. We dry our own peaches every year, but I’m sure you can buy them also. When I put the green tea in to steep I also add 4-5 pieces of dried fruit. It is so yummy! Added benefit is the fruit that you can eat at the end of the great tea! Thanks again for these posts!

6. Mariana February 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Hi! I’m a student in an IB school and I need help for this big project I’m making about Natural Medicine and Pharmaceutical medicine and I can get all the help I need, please! I have a few herb plants of my own: spearmint, lavender, & rosemary. I would like to make my own tea blend using this herbs(if necessary I can use others as well) and give out samples to my audience during my presentation.
    Thanks,
    Mariana

• Meagan February 26, 2014 at 6:21 am #

I love the idea for your project Mariana. Have you tried using your herbs and making a tea with them yet following the formula in the post? Have you tried adding actual tea leaves to your blend? There are so many things to consider, but that post along with the others linked in it should give you a good start. Basically, what do you want your tea to do? Once you know that, grab a base and add herbs that work towards that goal. Maybe try your spearmint and rosemary together… rosemary mint is a great blend, but it’s hard for me to tell you what works because I can’t taste it and it’s your blend… you have to know what you want from it. Best of luck and let us know when you come up with something.

7. Ellie Roberts April 3, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

Hello! I am doing a tea project in school and I have my ideas jotted down. It has to be a period in time from my Social Studies book. I just came across this when searching things. I think this is a very helpful article! :)

8. Jason April 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm #

Would mint tea leaves and dried kiwi work?

• Meagan April 5, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

I’m sure that would make a very interesting blend Jason. It’s worth a shot at trying and seeing if you like it.

9. Sarah May 17, 2014 at 4:14 am #

I came across a Colon Tea which is made up of Buckhorn, Cascara & Licorice. Worked very well for cronic constipation, Does anyone know the quantities of the ingredience required to make this colon tea –
    Sarah Mills

• Meagan May 19, 2014 at 5:27 am #

I’m sorry Sarah… I personally don’t know the ingredients. I’d say you’d have to Google it or try blending different amounts after studying each of the herbs. Just remember though… constipation can be cause by different things so it’s a good idea to start with looking at your diet and making adjustments there first and then move on to other alternative options. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

10. Trish July 15, 2014 at 4:16 am #

I’ve been enjoying Twinings’ Australian Afternoon Tea, but got sick of using tea bags, and hence risking drinking the fannings of tea leaves, rather than the ‘real thing’. I couldn’t seem to find the tea in leaf form, and so went to the website to see what blends were used. Lo and behold, a brief description of the tea was given, as a result of a competition between popular Australians. The tea blended Irish Breakfast, Orange Pekoe, and Russian Caravan. I had no idea as to what the ratio was, but was excited to have a go.

I received my order of tea leaves today, and tried a 3:1:1 approach. (Irish Breakfast: Orange Pekoe: Russian Caravan.) I’m not a great fan of Russian Caravan, and so might change the ratio to 4:2:1 the next time that I make a small batch.

Once I’ve figured out the ratio that I like, I’ll stick with that. I’m not a great fan of Russian Caravan, so I’m hoping that the second attempt will work.

11. iamshlocked July 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

so, i just have to add the fruits, flowers etc, to the tea and blend them together?
    could someone explain this to me because i didn’t get it :C

• Meagan July 18, 2014 at 8:47 am #

Yes, that’s right. The tea leaves are your base, then you add anything extra to that. Does that make sense?

• iamshlocked July 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm #

then if i want my tea to taste like almond or apple i just have to add pieces of the almond/apple to the base?

• Meagan July 21, 2014 at 11:35 am #

Sure… you can try that and see how it works for you. I’m not sure that the taste of the almond would come through all that much, but you never know until you try it. Also for apple, try using a lighter flavored base such as white tea leaves instead of the stronger tasting black or green teas.