Berry Herbal Brew(BEHB)
Make your own antioxidant-rich fermented drink with this simple Berry Herbal Brew Blend.
These specially formulated ingredients make a delicious brew that combine during the fermentation process to release their antiviral, antimicrobial, and antioxidant-rich properties. Combine this nutritional mix with fresh or frozen red grapes and blueberries, and you will have a delicious powerhouse of Vitamins E and C that may help support a healthy heart, digestive system, brain function, and improved vision.
1. Add 1 part of Berry Herbal Brew mix to a glass gallon jar.
2. Pour 3 parts warm (not hot) water over brew mix. With a clean hand, combine thoroughly.
3. Cover jar with a cloth and let sit until dried herbs are hydrated (3 to 5 hours).
4. In a food processor or blender, put 2 parts fresh or thawed concord grapes with seeds, 1 part fresh or thawed blueberries, and 1 1/2 parts sugar. Add enough Berry Herbal Brew liquid mixture (about 1 1/2 to 2 parts) to mix the berries and sugar together well and blend for about 1 minute. Add blended mixture to gallon jug, cover and put a rubber band around the mouth of the jar to keep fruit flies out.
5. Near the end of the first week, mix Berry Herbal Brew once with clean hands for about 2 minutes. Make sure you have a towel over the opening to keep fruit flies out. After mixing, cover with a tight cloth and rubber band over the mouth of the jar. Set jar in cool, dark place for 3 weeks (can be months). You can expect a small amount of mold to form on top, which is a good sign that the fermenting process is taking place. This is not harmful to your brew and can be skimmed and discarded.
6. LATER...(after 3 weeks or longer)... In a clean glass gallon jug, drape a thin cloth (cheese cloth works great) down in mouth of jar. Use a rubber band to firmly secure cloth around jar mouth. Slowly pour brew through cloth to strain into clean jar. It might take awhile, so use another cloth to keep any pesky flies away!
7. When it stops straining, use clean hands to twist the cloth together (keeping herbs inside) to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Discard the remaining herb mixture. You can then pour the strained liquid into an old wine bottle or whatever you choose. I like using wine bottles because they have small openings, colored glass, and the cork fits tightly, keeping the brew well protected.
Whatever glass container you use, remember that the Brew will keep fermenting, so you will want to use something like a cork to seal it. This will keep it from exploding in the container you are storing it in or when you open it. If you do decide to use a regular lid, you will want to open it every once in a while to release the pressure.
8. Keep Berry Herbal Brew in a cool, dark place - a cabinet works great.
From Our Reading and/or Experience...
Berry Herbal Brew is a unique blend of specially formulated ingredients that combine during the fermentation process to release their healthful benefits. The naturally occurring alcohol acts as a nutrient and enzyme preservative that helps enhance the properties of the fruit and herbs.
Indian Gooseberries are a MOST important ingredient. They have been shown to produce a synergistic antioxidant effect when blended with other juices and extracts. Indian Gooseberries give an antioxidant boost to other ingredients. Even without the blend, Indian Gooseberries have antiviral, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
Blueberries are rated #1 for their anti-oxidant properties, properties that are boosted when joined to the Indian Gooseberries. By raising hemoglobin and oxygen levels in the blood, blueberries are quite an immune builder, improve brain function and balance digestion. Blueberries help lower bad cholesterol and strengthen the heart.
Bilberries are a good source of vitamin E and C, bringing even more antioxidants to the mix (which are boosted by the Indian Gooseberries). Bilberries act both as an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Known for lowering blood sugar levels, they also add strength and suppleness to vessels in the eye and extremities. Many eye difficulties are helped as bilberry contains flavonoids that protect the collagen needed to maintain healthy vessels in the eye. Varicose veins, inflammation, diarrhea, skin ulcers, poor digestion, high blood pressure and other circulatory problems are helped by the addition of bilberries. The strong anti-septic properties of bilberry also help heal mouth sores and gum disease linked to heart problems.
The seeds of the grapes are a great source of beneficial compounds that contribute to the antioxidant actions along with concentrated Vitamin E, flavonoids, linoleic acid and tannins. These are found in lower concentrations in the grape skin and juice along with resveratrol, another form of antioxidant.
Pomegranates have antioxidants that attach to its unique sugars in such a way as to protect against atherosclerosis without aggravating diabetes. In some cases, the fruit seems to replace the need for prescription estrogen.
Fig leaves are known for their astringent properties and are considered a digestive aid. Grape leaves help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Research has shown the ingredients in this mix contain many nutrients and anti-aging properties, help with poor eyesight, and are good for overall health.
- Please note that the fermentation process of the Berry Herbal Brew is necessary to change the chemical balance and increase potency for maximum benefit. It will become alcoholic the longer it brews. It is safe for children after the "fresh brew" period of 3 weeks, but it is not recommended for children after this. The same recommendation applies to pregnant or nursing women.
- We like to take 3 oz of Berry Herbal Brew each evening (adults) or 1 oz for children.
- It can be used as long as you like. We have kept it for over a year.
Sorry, no recipes found.