There is something mesmerizing about turmeric root. Everything from its knobby kneed roots, to its brilliant yellow flesh, to its rich earthy taste declares exotica. Sometimes referred to as yellow ginger, the tropical turmeric plant originated in India where it grows to about three feet high. Turmeric root is known for its antioxidant compounds commonly known as curcumin.
Turmeric seems mysterious, but it's really both yummy and versatile. Our Golden Turmeric Paste is an easy way to add flavor and nutrients to all types of recipes such as our Golden Milk (see below). It is gently heated to activate the herbs and bring out their best flavors, and it stores easily in the fridge so that you can keep it on hand. It's pure, golden goodness! Golden paste can be added to hot drinks, curries, soups, stir-fry, roasted vegetables and more when you want to add a little golden punch to a meal. The possibilities are endless!
Golden Turmeric Paste
- 1/2 cup organic turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground organic black pepper*
- 5 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
1. In a small pot, cook the water, turmeric, and cayenne pepper over low heat until it forms a thick paste, stirring and cooking for about 7 to 10 minutes. 2. Remove from heat and add coconut oil, using a whisk to fully mix in the coconut oil. 3. Transfer the Golden Paste to a glass jar with a lid, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.**
*Black pepper helps to activate the curcumin making it more easily absorbed by the body. Organic cayenne pepper can also be substituted.
**Or measure paste into ice cube trays (maybe 1-3 teaspoons or 1 tablespoon per "cube" depending on the need) and place in the refrigerator until hardened. Pop them out and freeze tightly sealed.
Golden MilkSoothing and delicious, I love to enjoy a mug of this before bed. The coconut milk provides healthy fats while the turmeric offers beneficial antioxidants. Makes 2 mugs of golden goodness!
- 1-2 teaspoons Golden Paste (see above)
- 2 cups organic coconut milk (and/or almond milk or dairy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Raw organic honey to taste
- Pinch of organic cinnamon (optional)
- In a stainless steel pot, gently heat (do not boil) 2 cups of milk with 1-2 teaspoons of golden paste.
- Whisk out any lumps.
- Add vanilla, honey, and cinnamon.
- Very carefully blend in a blender or with an immersion blender (my preferred method) until frothy. Pour into mugs and enjoy!