Love Your Heart with a Hawthorn Berry Cookie Recipe
By Jamie Larrison - February 18, 2016
Spice up your love life with our Heart Tonic Cookies! They are bursting with hawthorn berry powder and spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and clove - simply delicious herbs that encourage a healthy heart.
Heart Tonic Cookies with Hawthorn Berry PowderIngredients
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rose petals
- 1 Tbsp hawthorn berry powder
- 1 T ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 3 Tbsps cocoa butter
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the flour and mix well until combined.
- Add the flour and stir in just until the dough comes together. You don't want to overmix.
- Chill the dough for about one hour in the fridge.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut with your cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes, or just until firm and no longer wet looking.
- Gently melt the cocoa butter on the stove and drizzle over the cookies and sprinkle on rose petals for decoration.
Do you add heart healthy herbs like hawthorn berry powder to your foods?
- Baniasad, A., & Khajavirad, A. et al (2015). Effect of hydro-alcoholic extract of Rosa damascena on cardiovascular responses in normotensive rat [Abstract]. Avicenna J. Phytomed, 319-324. Retrieved January 24, 2016.
- Bergner, P. (2012). Herbs for the Spiritual Heart. Retrieved January 24, 2016, from http://medherb.com/eletter/Spiritual-heart-only.pdf
Cinnamon Bark - Powder, Organic. (n.d.). Retrieved January 23, 2016, from http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Cinnamon-Bark-Powder-Organic
- Gladstar, R. (2008). Rosemary Gladstar's herbal recipes for vibrant health: 175 teas, tonics, oils, salves, tinctures, and other natural remedies for the entire family. North Adams, MA: Storey Pub.
- Hawthorn Berries - Powder, Organic. (n.d.). Retrieved January 23, 2016
- Rose. (n.d.). Retrieved January 24, 2016
- Rose, K.(May 4, 2007). Sweet Medicine: Healing with the Wild Heart of Rose. Retrieved January 24, 2016, from http://bearmedicineherbals.com/sweet-medicine-healing-with-the-wild-heart-of-rose.html