Herbal Education At The Academy: The Liver
By Meagan - August 14, 2015
Today I want to talk to you more about the liver and what is taught in the seventh unit of The Online Intermediate Herbal Course from The Herbal Academy of New England. The liver plays a very important role in the body working with other organs to digest, absorb and metabolize food and eliminate waste products from the body. This organ is often neglected when someone approaches using herbs with a "pill for every ill" mindset, but in my personal opinion, liver health along with proper nutrition and gut health, are some of them foundational parts of living a healthy life. The liver works all. the. time. so let's do a good job to take care of it and the liver detox properly! Today I'll be sharing 3 key take-aways from this unit as well as well as a delicious soup recipe that is super healthy and helps the liver detox!
The LiverWhat I Studied The seventh unit in The Online Intermediate Herbal Course is all about the liver, and it covers some of the following topics.
- anatomy and physiology of the liver
- liver function
- foods that help the liver detox - good and bad
- lifestyle and liver health
- liver and immune dysfunctions
- TCM liver imbalances and remedies
- liver tonics, bitters, and hepatic herbs
- liver ailments and treatments
- It can take several passes through the liver for toxins to be broken down enough to be excreted. If the liver is unhealthy, it can lose its ability to convert toxins into byproducts resulting in the toxin circulating freely through the bloodstream for a longer amount of time.
- Immune imbalances and liver support go hand in hand. Since the liver manufactures immunoglobulins (or antibodies), it is a critical player in how the body's immune system and how well it responds to foreign invaders in the body. When someone is dealing with immune system imbalances, liver support can make a big difference in getting to a positive outcome sooner.
- Herbal bitters work to promote healthy liver, gallbladder, and pancreatic function as they encourage bile flow, the regulation of pancreatic hormones, and stimulate healthy digestive processes. Take an herbal bitter before every meal!!
A Liver Detox Recipe to Share:The following recipe is a delicious soup that your taste buds and your liver will thank you for! SQUASH, CARROT, AND POTATO SOUP Adapted from Love Your Liver. Ingredients:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced (ripe, not fibrous – buy 2 cut halves so you can see the pumpkin)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head of kale leaves, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 quarts of low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon curry paste (or powder)
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large pan, gently fry the onion in olive oil, add the sliced garlic cloves and cook until soft
- Add the curry paste or powder and cook for one minute
- Add all the prepared vegetables and the chicken stock, then bring to the boil
- Lower the heat, cover with the pan lid and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender and season with black pepper
- Finish with cream (optional)