St. John's Wort C/S, Organic, 1/2 lb.(SJWC-2)
St. John's Wort is a yellow, flowering plant with long, slender leaves valued for its medicinal benefits on the nervous system when used as a tincture or tea.
This soothing herb has calming and relaxing properties that may help to naturally reduce pain and discomfort in the body.
Do you ever feel stressed or more tired when you wake up in the morning after a long night's sleep? Prepare this nutricious tincture recipe to help stress less and rest well.
Stress Less & Rest Well Tincture Recipe
WHAT YOU NEED...
2 Tablespoons Fennel
3 Tablespoons Spearmint
I Tablespoon Fenugreek
1/2 Tablespoon Milk Thistle
1 Tablespoon Gingko
1 Tablespoon Eleuthero
1 Tablespoon Orange Peel
3 Tablespoons St. John's Wort
HOW TO MAKE...
Mix all herbs in a large bowl. Make your tincture by filling a glass jar 1/3 - 1/2 full of herbs. Fill the jar to the top with alcohol (80-90 proof Vodka is best), close it, and store for 3-8 weeks in a cool, dry place. Shake the jar daily. After 3-8 weeks, strain and discard the herbs, bottle the liquid and label it.
For more information on making tinctures, see How To Make a Tincture.
Common Names: St. John’s Wort, goat weed, klamath weed, amber, rosin rose, witch’s herb
Excerpts from Practical Herbalism
The current popularity that St. John’s Wort is enjoying as an anti-depressant and mood elevating remedy is reflected in it's ancient roots. The very name Hypericum, is derived from the Greek, meaning "over the spectre," relating it's almost magical ability to lift the darkness from the spirit. The herb’s effect on the nervous system was recognized to be physical as well as spiritual, though, and it came into great use as a healing plant for conditions and injuries that affected the nerves as well as the flesh. Culpeper wrote that, "It is a singular wound herb.
Externally it is a valuable healing and anti-inflammatory remedy. In an ointment it will speed the healing of wounds and bruises, varicose veins, and mild burns. The garnet-red oil extracted from the flowers is especially useful for the healing of sunburn.
Precautions: Use caution if using during pregnancy and consult a doctor if on any type of anxiety medicine.
From Our Reading and/or Experience...
- Though tinctures are the best method to draw out St. John's Wort's properties for internal use, we use it in tea combinations as well. Of course, it can be made into many other types of internal and external remedies. Poultices, for instance, are a very popular way of using it.
- It can be used to benefit anyone: men, women (use caution during pregnancy, and nursing), children and animals.
- It can be used as often as you would like, and in any way you choose.
- It is critical that St. John's Wort is stored in a dark, dry, and cool place. Refrigeration or freezing is highly recommended, but not necessary. Following these suggestions will delay the loss of it's highly valued nutritional and medicinal properties.
- Introduction No
- Precautions No
- History No
- Constituence No
- Uses & Benefits No
Sweet Citrus Herban Sugar Scrub
Pamper your loved ones with this spa inspired sugar scrub. Infused with orange and slightly exfoliating, it works to increase your circulation, help remove dead skin cells and reduce cellulite.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED ~ To Infuse Your Herbal Oil
HOW TO MAKE IT...
- Fill a glass jar 1/3 of the way full with equal parts of each herb. Cover herbs in jojoba oil. Place lid on jar.
- Set jar on top of a towel in a crockpot filled with water, on the warm setting for 3 days. Watch water level and be very careful not to pour cool water on a hot jar, as this can cause it to explode.
- After 3 days, remove the jar from heat, let cool, and strain off herbs. Now you have an Herbal Infused Oil!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED ~ To Make Sweet Citrus Herban Sugar Scrub
- 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons jojoba Herbal Infused Oil
- 1 fresh lemon peel
- 8 drops lemon essential oil
- 8 drops grapefruit seed extract
HOW TO MAKE IT...
Mix ingredients together, put in a pretty glass jar, and label. To turn this into an extra special gift, adorn with dried herbs, ribbon and a handwritten note.